« Home | Dili for a change » | San Francisco Mandatory Sites » | San Francisco Breakfast » | Los Angeles » | Orange County » | Return to USA » | Valle de Angeles » | Tegucigalpa » | La Ceiba » | Stuck or not stuck in Utila? »

Sri Lanka

The trip is almost over. In about an hour, I am to start the homeward journey from Colombo, where I'm right now waiting at the airport.

I spent the weekend in Unawatuna in southern Sri Lanka with a few friends. The place is not very far from Colombo, but the ride took about four hours in a bus fully packed with passengers who were 'entertained' with high-desibelic local music. I got a short video recording of the music and blinking Buddha-figures that were probably meant to give protection to the bus. Protection may indeed be a good idea provided the driving habits and the facts that the Tamil fighters sometimes set bombs t0 these vehicles (though much less so in the souther part of the country). There was also a guy selling protective amulets prior to the departure.

I cannot upload the video right now, so have to wait for later. I also haven't got any other photos, because the phone went out of battery and I didn't have the charger with me. So, you have to take my word that the place is truly pleasant and beautiful. It was somewhat hard to believe this is the are that was worst hit by the Tsunami in Sri Lanka. To get an idea, you can have a look at the Sri Lanka Travel Guide photos.

Labels: , , ,

Have a good and safe trip back home!

~Elaina

Post a Comment