« Home | Hyvää Joulua! » | Unsuccesful shopping - productive lunch » | Dementor weather » | Conspectus Rerum Latinus in Press - Part 2 » | Happy United Nations Day » | Independent Special Commission of Inquiry » | Rauhan Nobel oikeaan osoitteeseen » | Comments on the International Crisis Group Report » | International Crisis Group Report - Resolving Timo... » | Alternative account from France »

Blog around the world

I have now begun my escapade from darkness and cold for five weeks. Yesterday, I flew to Washington through Frankfurt, arriving early afternoon. The flights were pleasant and arrival at Dulles airport smoother than I expected. The lines to the immigration were much shorter than some other times I've been to the US. I then took a shuttle to down town, found Elsa's place without any problem, and settled down.

Today I've been mostly shopping and arranging some practical things for the rest of the trip. Whilst it is not much warmer in DC than in Helsinki, the sun was shining all day, and the day is many hours longer, too. Once we get to Honduras, the temperature issue should also be fixed.

It's been quite a nice day, actually. I had almost forgotten about some funny aspects of the American life style - such as over-sized portions of food... For breakfast, I had ordered a 'small' cappuccino, which was about 3dl. However, the coffee shop lady either forgot what the order was or wanted to give me a treat, and served a 'medium' cappuccino instead, which was at least half a litre. I also found slightly amusing the 'security tips' signs advising for example not to use escalators with a wheelchair.

I don't have any photos to post yet, as acquiring a functioning camera is one of the practical arrangements still on my list.


Labels: , , ,